March, 2018- Another fast paced month snuck by with a lot of work being produced that will set me up for a very busy summer! I’ve got a number of paintings in mind that I would like to finish by August for a few shows in Kansas City this fall, and all that work has to begin with a single painting, so I started three and kept sketching and working on new ideas as well.
Here’s some of the latest goings on in the art world.
- I’ll just leave this link here. I really can’t tell you what I think of this.
- Neanderthals made art before humans did!
- Stanley Spencer is an amazing painter I’ve always admired. He was also, sadly, a broken man.
- I randomly ran across this sketch by Turner in London’s Tate Museum of a version of one of my favorite Titian paintings I’ve ever seen in person. (Here’s the version I saw in Munich, here’s the version that I think Turner drew from)
- I really hate crass, stupid, mindless political art. Especially if it’s poorly done by a celebrity.
- I hate it when Arts and Entertainment budgets get overrun by Sports. They’re pretty separate industries in every way, and only one of them is a handout for billionaires. Good luck Austin! I’m sure development won’t run every artist out of town!
- After teaching both children and adults to paint and draw for the past 14 years, one of the worst things I can ever hear is some ignoramus standing in front of some modern art in a museum and commenting, “My kid can do this.”. The ignorance drives me absolutely insane. But this is probably one of the times I can honestly say, “I know so many kids that would be offended if they did that.” Keep your scribblings on your refrigerator and stick to your performance art, thank you very much.
- Security in museums is laughable. And sadly, stupid people do stupid things.
- Hyperallergic checks in with an interesting look at the segregation of women in the 19th century art world.
- Saving Eastern Europe’s concrete monoliths.
- Even indoor lacrosse players are getting into the art racket. Everybody knows where the dollars are! (Um, tennis balls aren’t normally used to make too much art)
February, 2018 – I spent the first half of the month finishing up a bunch of work for my show at Hank Charcuterie in Lawrence, Kansas. The show opens on Final Friday on February 23rd. You can take a look at all the information about ‘Bulls On Parade‘ here, and continue reading to see what I’ve been up to in studio.
In today’s installment, the simple theme is Love. While ten songs can’t be comprehensive, it can give a quick little range of songs from all over the place.
February 4 – There’s never a dull moment in the art world! From the ridiculous to the sublime, here’s more of the recent news stories that keep popping up on the wire…
January 17, 2018- Here’s something new for schliefkevision – a little, semi-regular ten song playlist. It’s a little look into the music that’s filling my studio on a daily basis at this time. All ten songs will center around a common theme or idea, and will be links will be provided to the playlist and all the songs… For now, all of this will be on youtube. but I’ll be experimenting with other venues later on…
These should be watched side by side Continue reading