Art forgery, political art, and more art world news from around the globe, including a nice show of German art from the Weimar years at the Tate in London!
Here’s some of the topics that are most dear to my heart. German Expressionism plays a significant role in my own work, and I’ve always been enthralled by art forgery.
- A new show at the Tate in London shows off German art from the Weimar years between the wars. Featuring plenty of George Grosz and Otto Dix.
- Another look at how some German painters changed art and exploded their own visions on canvas.
- When I was really, really young, I watched a PBS show that explored the world of art forgers. Fake art has fascinated me ever since. Here’s an overview of some the art forgery that’s happened in the world.
- I guess nuclear isotopes are one way to fight art forgery!
- Helsinki just built an art museum underground!
- Another look at preaching to the choir in the art world.
- When you find yourself in a museum, don’t EVER let me hear you say,”My kid can paint that” or “I could do that”. You just sound like a close minded ignoramus. Rothko may not be your cup of tea, but don’t be a moron about it. For once in your life, try a little bit.
- If this was the 1990’s, I’m sure Kansas City’s Nelson-Atkins Museum would find a way to make a giant exhibition about this drawing. This city didn’t start to grow up until all the Henry Moores were moved out of the back lawn.
- The Onion is on target.
- I touched on some of the difficulties of political art last month, here’s a look at political art in Santa Fe.
- Casanova vs. #metoo. And why you’ll see a Kardashian in the gift shop.